|Courtesy of Keerati at FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
Video 1: How to Use Manual Breast Pump to Express Milk
Video 2: How to Use Electric Breast Pump
Items You need When Expressing Breast Milk with Breast Pump
- A breast pump (manual or electric breast pump) – click the above video to see the types of electric pumps
- Clean hands - ensure to wash your hands clean before pumping, to avoid contaminating any of the breast pump parts.
- Hot water and a sink - for cleaning up the pump parts after each pumping
- Bottles or breast milk storage bags - to collect and store the expressed breast milk from the pump
- A fridge or cooler to keep the milk safe and cold until you are ready to use them
- Breast pads to protect your clothes in case your breasts leak milk
- A place - a clean room with a lock, to avoid embarrassment in case someone walks in unexpected
- An electrical socket – for plugging the breast pump (if you’re using an electric breast pump)
- Optional: A hands-free pumping bra, so that you can pump and have your hands free to do a few things simultaneously, such as making/ taking calls, typing on your ipad or laptop etc.
- Manual pump and/ or a Rechargeable battery back – just in case electricity fails.
How Does a Breast Pump Work?
Generally, breast pumps work by imitating the natural way a baby sucks breast. So, a good breast pump is not painful – they should feel natural if you use the correct phalange size. And if you place the phalanges correctly, it won’t irritate or pinch your skin. Watch the above video over and over again to learn the right way to use a breast pump.
Conclusion: Learning to Use a Breast Pump
That’s it on a beginner’s guide to using a breast pump for the first time. Ensure to watch the video tutorial over and over until you get confident of trying it. Final tip – practice as you watch, and leave us a comment or question below.