Preparing pounded yam with a mortar seems to me like a punishment. I love cooking a lot but some women find cooking a tough duty, while some interestingly see it as a hobby. If you have a food processor, then it is high time you give yourself a break from pounding yam with the old school method. With the surprising uses of food processor cooking is a lot easier for all our Nigerian women.
When preparing items before cooking you should be rest assured that with the different uses of your food processor cooking will be faster than you ever imagined. Follow the steps below in this article, you will find out other cool uses of food processor in Nigerian Kitchens. Read on
Knowing how much our Nigerian men love eating pounded yam, having it done properly without lumps is a huge task for us women. Most of us women try our best yet after pounding it turns out to have lumps but with a food processor, the result is unbeatable. Common let’s get started.
Using A Food Processor to Prepare Pounded Yam in Nigerian Kitchen
- Peel the yam and cut it into pieces (not so big to ease the process)
- Wash the yam
- Boil the yam until it becomes soft “very soft”
- Pick a slice from the pot and check if it is soft enough
- If the yam is soft, put the pot of yam down and allow it to cool “a bit”
- Assemble the food processor
- Scoop the yam out in batches into the processor and cover it
- Switch on the engine on – the maximum
- As the yam is being smashed into pieces, at intervals keep adding a few more pieces
- Add some hot water to the yam if a bit hard
- Allow the machine to run until blades smoothens yam into a dough without
- Now you have stretchy smooth yam dough
- Open the processor and remove the mass – ready to be eaten
I experimented yam pounding using my food processor to prepare pounded yam this Christmas, and the result came out excellent. Although when I started my mom said “ how on earth do you think this gadget will give you a smooth dough, why not do the pounding the usual way and get it over with”
As soon as I was done, I gave her some to taste and when she did, she said this machine is indeed a wonder. You too can do wonder with your food processor.
Below is a picture of what the pounded yam looks like using a food processor
Congratulation! Your first delicious pounded yam prepared with the aid of a food processor is ready! You can eat with that tasty egusi soup, ogbono soup, vegetable soup e.t.c, You could also use your food processor to make semo or amala
Now you know what it looks like using a food processor to prepare pounded yam. If you do not want the pounded yam to be too stretchy, add just a little salt to the yam on fire when boiling as this will help reduce the level of carbohydrate in it. The food processor is an awesome kitchen gadget every Nigerian woman should have to ease cooking.