Infants grow faster than we fast than we envisage and breastfeeding alone cannot meet the nutritional requirement of a child in the first and second year. When a child is about four months of age, the child needs supplementary feeding and this is the point where the low cost homemade foods with adequate nutrients and energy are introduced to compliment with breastmilk.
Infant weaning foods are carefully formulated to equate a balanced nutrition for babies and the raw materials like the soya beans and crayfish are high in protein and energy nutrition. These ingredients are produce from our locally available farm produce like corn, millet, soya beans, plantain and groundnuts, they easy to prepare.
Below are Ingredients and steps to preparing your low cost semi instant weaning baby food.
Millet, Guinea Corn or Maize (5 cups)
Soya beans (3 cups)
Pot or frying pan
Pot or frying pan
Blender: hand or wooden blender
A clean airtight container
- Measure the quantity of raw material needed
- Pick out stones from the millet and soya beans
- Wash both the millet and soya beans clean
- After washing, dry them
- Fry the soya beans to reduce bacterial load and the acidity level,
- Keep stirring it at interval until it turns slightly brown like a roasted groundnut and you can feel its crispy
- Pour the soya beans into a tray, allow it to cool then remove the peels or skin
- You can use your kitchen blender, hand blender by adjusting it so that it will be loose or take them to the mill - sieve to remove the chaff neatly.
- Tighten your blender to grind them (soya beans, millet and crayfish) to powder or use the commercial mills to grind but make sure their engine is very neat.
- Store them in an air-tight container
Advantages of Mixed Homemade Cereals
- Easy to produce
- Rich in extra protein and energy
- Pocket friendly - cheaper than the commercial brands
- Safe for consumption
- Can be store up to 3 months
Congratulation! Now your baby’s first homemade baby formula is ready.
Also See Related:
Signs of Readiness for Solid Foods in infants
How to Make Vegetable Puree for Infants
How to Make Infant Rice Cereal
Conclusion: How to Prepare Infant Homemade Formula With Corn/Millet and Soya Beans
Now you know the steps to prepare rich homemade baby formula and I believe you have realized it is easy to prepare your baby cereal. Ensure you wash your hands before you start and also keep all the baby feeding utensils clean at all times to avoid your baby being infected with diarrhea.
Do you have any recipe to share with us? Contact us and we will be delighted to share it with other mothers.
Hope your baby enjoyed it. Please leave us a comment and tell us how it went.